Southampton are now under investigation by the Football Association in relation to the ‘Spygate’ scandal.
The FA is reviewing whether to bring charges after an EFL independent disciplinary commission expelled Saints from the Championship play-offs and docked them four points for next season.
An FA spokesperson said: “We will now investigate and won’t comment further until we have assessed the evidence.”
Southampton admitted to spying on a training session held by play-off semi-final opponents Middlesbrough earlier this month, as well as one held by Oxford United in December and an Ipswich Town session in April.
For exclusive stories and all the detailed EFL news you need, subscribe to The Football League Paper website, digital edition, or newspaper from as little as 14p a day.
WATCH THE LATEST FOOTBALL LEAGUE PAPER PODCAST HERE
Heartbreaking
All three instances occurred following the appointment of Tonda Eckert as head coach in early December.
The commission dismissed the club’s appeal against the sanction on Wednesday night.
As a result, Boro now replaces Saints in Saturday’s play-off final against Hull City.
Southampton chief executive Phil Parsons said the sanctions imposed were “manifestly disproportionate”.
Kicking them out of the play-offs also denies them a shot at a Premier League place and with it an estimated £200million in additional revenue as a minimum.
Saints’ player of the year Leo Scienza described the punishment as “heartbreaking” and said the club’s fans “definitely deserved better”.
“We gave everything for this dream,” he posted on Instagram. “Day after day, sacrifice after sacrifice, always believing we could bring this club back to where it belongs.
“For me, the dream of playing in the Premier League was something I fought for with everything I had. That’s why this pain cuts so deep.”

(Peter Tarry/PA)
Disappointed
Defender Taylor Harwood-Bellis mimicked holding a pair of binoculars as he celebrated their winning goal against Boro.
The 24-year-old said on Thursday that he would never have done so had he been aware of how serious the situation was.
“As players, we are absolutely gutted, disappointed, and heartbroken that it’s come to this,” he said on Instagram.
“I’d also like to put on record that, had I known the severity of the situation, I would never have done what I did on the pitch.
“In the moment, it was meant as a bit of fun in a situation that we as players were not informed about.”
Middlesbrough welcomed Southampton’s expulsion.
The club said the sanction “sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct”.

(Andrew Matthews/PA)
Major doubt
Eckert’s future as Southampton boss is now in major doubt. Reports also suggest the Saints’ players are considering legal action against the club.
Due at Southampton’s training ground on Thursday morning, the German boss supposedly met with his players for talks.
The club said in a statement on Wednesday evening that “trust now needs to be rebuilt”.
“That work begins immediately,” they added.
“The club will reflect carefully on the events that have led to this point, learn from them and take the necessary steps to move forward responsibly.
“While tonight is a painful moment, this football club will respond with humility, accountability and determination to put things right.”
READ MORE: Southampton condemn severity of ‘Spygate’ sanction following play-off expulsion



