Connect with us

Championship

Freedman agrees contract terms to remain Nottingham Forest manager

Dougie Freedman has signed a new two-year deal to stay at Nottingham Forest.

Last week it was said that Freedman had verbally agreed to extend his stay after brief dialogue with owner Fawaz al Hasawi, and the Scot revealed to the media after his side’s 3-1 defeat to Watford that the ink had dried to extend his stay at the club.

“I have signed the contract which he sent me, and I have sent it back. It’s done,” Freedman announced.

“I don’t see any hiccups. I’m delighted to be the manager of this club. I am so excited. It’s a fantastic opportunity.”

After a blistering start to life as Forest manager after replacing Stuart Pearce, where five wins from his first six matches saw them gain ground on play-off rivals, the former Crystal Palace and Southend striker has now seen his side go five matches without a win.

Nonetheless, the club rest in the safety of 10th place to the relief of the owner.

Al Hasawi had initially told Freedman at the start of his tenure that his position would be reviewed at the end of the season. But under the new contract, the 40 year-old can hope to be the first manager to spend over two years in the dug-out at the City Ground since Billy Davies (Jan 2009 – July 2011), something his seven predecessors have failed to achieve.

Freedman outlined his hopes for the future with the club due to conclude its seventh-consecutive season in the Championship.

“There are a couple of young players coming through and I will recruit a couple of new players.

“We need to add a bit of quality but we have Chris Cohen and Andy Reid coming back and hopefully Britt Assombalonga will bring us back his goals.

“I have to build something – it doesn’t just happen overnight. We have tried that trick and tried to throw money at it, and it has got us nowhere. Let’s settle everything down a little bit,” Freedman said.

“It is certainly a brighter future, but we need to plan it in a different way. It might not be back-page stuff, but we will slowly go about our business and try to be successful for the longer term.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Tackle the News

- Sign Up for our weekly Football League Newsletter Today!
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Best Betting Sites at Betinireland.ienew-UK-football-betting-sites-banner

Online Casinos

More in Championship

  • Tyrese Campbell celebrates one of his two goals in Sheffield United’s 3-0 win at Hillsborough in November. Tyrese Campbell celebrates one of his two goals in Sheffield United’s 3-0 win at Hillsborough in November.

    Sheffield United vs Sheffield Wednesday: Chris Wilder – My focus is simply on us

    Chris Wilder insists his full focus is on making sure his Sheffield United players are 100 per cent ready for today’s Steel City derby – rather than sending Sheffield Wednesday down.

  • Hoops stay patient to tame Tigers

    By Chris Wilson HEAD coach Julien Stephan felt a “calm” mindset was the key factor behind QPR’s victory at Hull. Late goals from Daniel Bennie and Richard Kone earned the visitors three deserved points against the Tigers, who have now lost two Championship games on the bounce but remain in...

  • RED DRAGONS THRILLER HAS PARKY PROUD

    By Eleanor Crooks WREXHAM 5 Moore 6, Windass 37, Thomason 66, Doyle 75, Broadhead 86 IPSWICH TOWN 3 Att: Mehmeti 20, Azon 45, Kipre 47 PHIL Parkinson lavished praise on the character of his Wrexham team after their remarkable victory over Ipswich Town – but was furious they were not...

  • SLOPPY GOALS ANNOY KIERAN

    ERRORS: McKenna IPSWICH boss Kieran McKenna was left scratching his head at how his side had been opened up on so many occasions by Wrexham. “I’m really disappointed with the outcome and disappointed with ourselves,” said McKenna. “We’ve come away from home and scored three really good goals and it...